Subject: Getting into a VMS Machine (was: RE: your mail)
To: 'Mark Brown' <broonie@tardis.ed.ac.uk>
From: Dzubin, Thomas A <TADzubin@Email.cbe.ab.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/25/2000 13:53:42
Try the main VMS FAQ at
http://www.openvms.digital.com/wizard/openvms_faq.html

or Try the part 2 of the VMS FAQ at:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/dec-faq/vms/part2/
Check the section "MGMT5.  I've forgotten the SYSTEM password - what can I
do?"

The basics are: boot with B/1 and at the SYSBOOT prompt, change the pointer
for the
boot startup file to be the console (OPA0:), run the regular startup file as
a sub-process,
and when that finishes, you will be left logged in on the console with full
privileges and
you can change the SYSTEM password to whatever you want.
Anyway, it's all detailed in the VMS FAQ.

Thomas  Dzubin - Network System Software Analyst
Information Technology Services
Calgary Board of Education.  http://www.cbe.ab.ca
Voice: (403) 294-8323   Fax: (403) 294-8431  Email:
tadzubin@email.cbe.ab.ca