Subject: Remote Services Console
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/23/2000 06:23:32
I recently rescued from the scrap heap a "DIGITAL Remote Services
Console" box that was previously connected to a VAX.

The front panel has a key switch with 4 positions ("Remote", "Lock
Out", "User Port", and "Remote User").  There is a push button
labelled "Local Copy".  There are two groups of three push buttons,
one group labelled "Baud T", and the other labelled "Baud M".

On the back it has 4 DB-25 ports: 2 female ("A1" and "B1") and 2 male
("A2" and "B2").

On the bottom of the unit it says "Model MDS01".  It also says
"Property of Digital Field Service.  Not for sale."  So I guess it's a
good thing I didn't pay any money for it :-)

I'd appreciate any information at all about this device.  What is it,
how do I use it, and is it specific to VMS or would it be useful for
anything on a NetBSD/vax system?

Feel free to respond to me directly if you feel this is too far
off-topic for this mailing list.

TIA,
entropy