Subject: Re: Netboot and MicroVAX 2000
To: Sean Clarke <sclarke@neptune.tzo.cc>,
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/20/2000 01:00:36
on 7/20/00 12:26 AM, Sean Clarke at sclarke@neptune.tzo.cc wrote something
like:

> I have followed all the instructions from the Netboot faq and have
> installed the mopd server on a redhat6.2 box and all

    /me scowls at Redhat

> from the console on the VAX i type in b/100 esa0
>
> from then on it asks for the bootfile which i respond with mopboot
>
> on the redhat machine watching the mop server i see this and that is it
> MOP DL 8:0:2b:e:4b:cb   > ab:0:0:1:0:0      len   18 code 08 RPR
> MOP DL 0:60:97:bf:b:95  > 8:0:2b:e:4b:cb   len    1 code 03 ASV

    your /var/log/messages or /var/adm/messages *should* have more readable
information about what's going on. In NetBSD, MOP requests and transfers are
logged by default. I assume you have TFTP enabled in inetd.conf and you have
/tftpboot and /tftpboot/mop directories with the proper permissions and
ownership rights set. The easiest way to do MOP boot is to rename the
boot.mop file to [HW MAC Adress].SYS so rename boot.mop to 08002b0e4bcb.SYS
if your VAX has the first HW address listed above. (show ether at the >>>
will tell you too) Also, the letters in the MAC address MUST be lower case
and the extension .SYS in upper case. Then you merely need to type boot esa0
on the vax.
    If that doesn't work, the Redhat MOP daemon might be botched, I seem to
recall a discussion about it being broken on port pmax along with that 6.2's
NFS server has to be started with something like --no_nfs_v3 to work with
NetBSD because of Redhat brokeness. (for when you get to it) You can also
start mopd in debug mode if you kill off the original daemon to get the
exact messages.

    Hope that helps, it has been awhile since I've worked on MOP configs.

    Chris