Subject: Re: SUMMARY:ntalkd daemon weirdness
To: None <nbsd@righi.dhs.org>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/19/2000 09:45:24
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 nbsd@righi.dhs.org wrote:

> I could fix this weirdness I installed ytalk and replaced talk with ytalk.
>
> ytalk is workig very well

I have a sneaking feeling your problems with talk/talkd might be related
to you using binaries which were compiled under a different kernel from
which you're running.

I don't have a conclusive explanation as to why, but that's the premise
I'd start with in solving the problem.  If you try recompiling talkd/talk
and the resulting binaries work, that would be strong evidence that the
problems are due to the binaries not being happy under a newer kernel.

I know these types of problems are present in `ps' and `w', but I've not
thought enough about talk to know whethere it's reasonable for them to
show up there.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
Remember, the more evil you are, the more tinted your explosion is.
It's those particles called evilons that do it.  -- K.