Subject: Re: Vax 8600's in North Carolina, free for the pickup
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/18/2000 08:27:30
Yikes. Nice hardware going here...!

If noone wants these, I would humbly beg for someone to help me save the
cards, since I have a couple of 8650s here, which could use some extra
spares (and more memory).

If anyone wonders, these are pretty big machines, and rather heavy. They
*do* need 3-phase power (don't try to cheat on this!) and some cooling.

The 86x0 machines are the last to implement the PDP-11 emulation in
"hardware". They have a nice F-11 as a front end processor, which boots
from an RL02. The VAX itself is entirely in microcode, which is in the
RT-11 frontend file system. Upon boot, the F-11 loads the VAX with the
microcode, and off it goes. The VAX itself is very much ECL, pipeline and
cache. A plain 8600 is about 4 VUPS, while the 8650 is somewhere around
6.5 VUPS.

Personally, I love this model. :-)

	Johnny