Subject: Re: Console cable length?
To: Rink Springer <rink@springer.cx>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/16/2000 19:06:40
Hi !

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Rink Springer wrote:
> I was wondering how long the console cable of my VAX 4000/300 can be... I
> want to hook it to a terminal in my room, which is about 50 meters away from
> my VAX. Is this possible? I think it is, but I just want to be sure :)

Usual serial ports end up at about 10 meters, but DEC uses RS-423 or so, which
is 20mA differential. If you really use DEC gear, like a VAX and a VT420, you
should just try it. But if you have a standard RS-232 in the way, you might
start getting in trouble at 10 meters, and even with shielded cable, you will
not come over 20 meters without errors. You can put a line booster into the
way, or you could try to find some old SRMs (short range modems), these are
small boxes which need no power and can make something over 1000 meters at
9600 Bps or so.

So: the easiest way is to use differential (original DEC-stuff), no other
thing is in those SRMs.

...Michael

--
 Michael@unixiron.org, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.bsdfans.org
 I'm using: [solaris] [hp-ux] [irix] [freebsd] [netbsd] [openbsd] [linux]