Subject: RE: Xwindows?
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/29/2000 22:21:53
Hi !

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, David Brownlee wrote:
> > Andy hit it right on the head. Huge 21" DEC monitor showing an 80 x 24 line
> > screen _is_ a waste. We should mention in the VAX NetBSD page that X11 is
> > *not* supported displaying on the local framebuffer. (How to phrase that I
> > don't know, we can't say X11 isn't supported at all because it is, etc)
>
> 	Doesn't wscons support different font sizes and text resolution?
> 	Having enough columns to run window(1) with two 80 column windows
> 	side by side would make console usage much more interesting until
> 	X comes along :)

A very fine solution for this is the following collection of equipment:
Take some VAXstations, build a pile of them :-)
Take a DECserver 200 (or better), connect all serial consoles of the VAXen
to it
Take a DEC VXT-2000, and talk to the DECserver via LAT. This works very fine,
you can even open some xterm or so from a VAX on this DECserver. With the
DECserver 300, you can even talk to the serial ports via TCP.

So, wasn't X created to pile up several xterms? *eg*

...Michael

--
 Michael@camaronet.de, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.camaronet.de
 Visit the german VAXpage: http://www.vaxpower.de