Subject: Re: vax.sevensages.org down
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: John Havard <enigma@sevensages.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/19/2000 14:34:13
On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Chuck McManis wrote:

> At 11:00 AM 6/19/00 -0500, John Havard wrote:
> >Well, vax.sevensages.org will be down for a few weeks, until I get a T1 to
> >my house.  Yes, I know I'm crazy.
>
> T1 prices are getting downright reasonable these days, its sort of amazing.

And a point to point t1 goes down far less often than DSL, all those that
are smirking "Mine's just as fast and $500 cheaper!"

> >Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I just got a Vax 4000/300 off
> >ebay.  Hooray for me.
>
> We should establish the port-vax ebay cooperative and that might help keep
> us from bidding against each other ;-)

Mmm..... my vax!  Besides, you were the lowball that only bid $136 on the
thing.  Of course, it is going to cost a bundle to ship the thing, though.
Be sure to watch eBay user atvm@prodigy.net as he said he will be
auctioning off another Vaxen really soon.  Also, he was auctioning off a
vaxstation 3400 (I think.  The 3400 part is right) which he mistakenly
listed as a VAX tape unit.

> >   I don't know how much hard drive space the thing
> >has, but even if it has none, I've got a few scsi drives laying around
> >that will work nicely.
>
> Unfortunately, it may or may not have a SCSI interface. The 4000/300 has
> DSSI on board and the BA440 cabinet is wired up to support a DSSI backplane
> in the top half. Or SCSI but I seen 8 of them now and they all had DSSI up
> there.

I think I saw an external scsi port on the thing.  If not, oh well, I can
make do with what is there, assuming DSSI is supported (and I seem to
recall that it is).

> >   Anything I need to take in consideration about
> >installing NetBSD on the thing, as I can almost guarantee that anything
> >that was on it previously is no good.
>

> Run -current since the 1.4.x doesn't know about the KA670 processor.
>
> --Chuck

I need to start paying attention to this list a bit more now.  I'll have a
week and a half to catch up on, oh, everything since Jul '99, which is
when I last played with netbooting my uVax-II, and my functioning VS3100,
all before both of my PCs died.  It never ceases to amaze me how these
vaxen keep on chugging, while my PCs just die, right and left.  For about
4 months after that, I had no functioning computer.  Thank <insert
preferred deity here> for Wyse terminals, and being able to have radius
have you rlogin to a machine.  Those were some rough months, although sort
of interesting, I might add.

Regards,
John Havard
Head Geek