Subject: Re: MicroVAX/VAXserver 3300
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/19/2000 00:51:59
on 6/18/00 3:10 AM, Frederik Meerwaldt at Meerwaldt@t-online.de wrote
something like:

> Hi!
>>
>> they couldnt do this because of their licensing agreement with USL.. VMS
>> was purely DEC's own thing, and DEC was free to do a hobbyist license or
>> whatever. Ultrix depends on encumbered USL code in some places..

    I bet they could work something out if they wanted, I doubt either of
them need to worry about someone taking their code and turning it into a
commercial operating system (that's the idea behind encumberment right?)

>> of course, i doubt if the Q would care too much about ultrix these days..
>> :(
> Not about Ultrix, but they make a part of Tru64 public. Perhaps the NetBSD
> coders can see how something works in this code. (Many things havn't
> changes from ultrix to Tru64). The only problem is, that the coders can't
> fetch machine-specific code :-(.

    Hmm I was told that up until 4.0b there was full DECstation support in
the source tree. Getting a look at that code would probably go a long way to
help support the rest of the Qbus MIPS boxen and speed up everything on
port-pmax. Anyone know if the Native MIPS compiler tagged along from Ultrix
to Tru64?

    Chris