Subject: Re: heads up : build requires a new 'make'
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/11/2000 14:48:42
Just to be clear, Yes, I think it is extremely poor engineering to try to
evolve build environments and the systems that they build without an
explicit mechanism for a) identifying the dependency and b) bootstapping it
during a build cycle. I would not take issue with this crud if, like it has
been done on other versions of *BSD, 'make build' would detect that the
build tools being used would not build the release, then build the required
tools into a "safe" place (like $DESTDIR/build_env), then fix up the paths
in the makefile, and _then_ build the system using the new tools.

And while I realize this was a fairly mild rebuke to my complaint, I stress
that I managed to both complain and identify the issue and its fix in just
three sentences. Not so with this one, sorry.

Finally, I have addressed the "powers that be", such as they are, and they
don't care. They aren't doing this "professionally" and they either can't
appreciate, or they don't understand the benefit of a reliable build
system. I would normally attribute this to inexperience but I know at least
some of them have more build hours in their past than I do. Perhaps they
haven't experienced the power of what a truely automated build can give
you. Imagine every single supported architecture building every night with
every configuration and regression tested when the build finished! There
are currently sufficient monkeys, such as myself, that poke at this
manually to achieve the same thing but it pains me none the less.

Except for the occasional rant (such as this one) I pretty much ignore it.
Please bear with the finger pointing. It disallows the defense "But this
hasn't caused any problems really." and keeps a record in the archive.

--Chuck