Subject: Re: 4.3BSD-Reno compatibility lost?
To: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/06/2000 17:20:06
On  6 Jun, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> COMPAT_43 is not intended for binary compatibility; it is used to get
> some syscalls etc that were present in 4.3BSD but not in NetBSD.
Ahhh!

> The option you want is COMPAT_VAX1K together with COMPAT_09 etc...
COMPAT_{VAX1K,43,09,10,11,12,13} options are active, except
COMPAT_ULTRIX. The COMPAT section is taken 1:1 from a GENERIC config
file.

> I haven't tried this for years, so it may be broken.
It seems to be broken. This is not alarming. I think these legacy compat
options can be removed at leest from the GENERIC configuration.

> Also note that the current NetBSD boot loader can't load 4.3BSD kernels
> because the magic number is wrong.
I used boot.mop from Feb 25 2000. It can load the kernel, but the
machine jumps back to the bootpromt when the kernel is started. I don't
remember the errorcode, sorry.

This all is not importand. But it is fun for a BSD geek running a 10
years old CSRG release on a more than 14 years old computer. :-)
--

tschüß,
         Jochen