Subject: Re: Thoughts on snapshot cd image......
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/26/2000 08:23:39
At 10:59 AM 5/26/2000 -0400, NetBSD Bob wrote:
> > Matt,
> >
> > This is not really an issue with the cd image specifically, but
> > I'd like to report my experience with the installation.  With
> > the second CD I cut yesterday, everything seemed to go extremely
> > smoothly, except I got about 100 SCSI errors as the files were
> > installing to disk, and then couldn't boot from the disk I had installed.
> > I booted again with the CD, escaped out to the shell, and did
> > a disklabel -B to the hard disk to make sure boot blocks were
> > installed, but I got more SCSI errors.
>
>Mine did not work on the MicroVAX 3100/10 I have.  I did not get
>time to set up a VS3100/M38 to test it on, but I can do that tonight.
>
>The MV3100 booted, and seemed to set up the disks, then load the miniroot,
>but it would not boot the miniroot off swap.

Huh?  There is no miniroot that it boots.  Install doesn't work that
way anymore.  It boots a kernel with a ramdisk.  The ramdisk has a set
of set of installation tools including sysinst.

sysinst will partition & newfs a disk and then extract the installation
tar files on it and then setup the devices and install boot blocks.

This is like the i386 and all other ports that use sysinst.  No more
edlabel or that stuff.