Subject: Re: Thoughts on snapshot cd image......
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/26/2000 10:46:58
Matt,

This is not really an issue with the cd image specifically, but
I'd like to report my experience with the installation.  With
the second CD I cut yesterday, everything seemed to go extremely
smoothly, except I got about 100 SCSI errors as the files were
installing to disk, and then couldn't boot from the disk I had installed.
I booted again with the CD, escaped out to the shell, and did
a disklabel -B to the hard disk to make sure boot blocks were
installed, but I got more SCSI errors.

This machine has two internal disks, an RZ25 which boots Netbsd,
a DSP3210S which boots VMS, and and now an external Fujitsu
M2266S, on which I installed the 1.4Y.  Just to make sure that
the SCSI connection to the external disk was OK, I installed
VMS on it, using the same CD-ROM drive, all cabling in the
same position.  This went fine, no SCSI bus errors, no problems,
and VMS came up after the re-install with no problems.

This reminds me of my experience with the TK50 on the same computer,
which worked fine on VMS, but I couldn't talk to it under NetBSD.
If you would like some more facts, like screen captures of the
error messages, I can put that together for you.

I'm curious if NetBSD Bob is having the same experience, since
as I recall, he's got a similar setup: Vaxstation 3100 M76,
with internal and external SCSI devices.  Bob?

Doug