Subject: Re: cpu_fork(), it bends my brain
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/26/2000 11:53:28
> I'm hoping that someone here (HI RAGGE! :-) can explain to me how
> the VAX port's cpu_fork() works.  I've figured out cpu_fork() on
> every other patform, but the VAX has me stumped.
> Basically, I'm needing to eliminate cpu_set_kpc() (sort of) -- cpu_fork()
> needs to take the function and argument to eliminate a race in a
> multiprocessor environment.

Slightly off-focused topic.  Do all NetBSD ports now have no UADDR
constant, right?  If so, it's worth mentioning and a bold departure
from original UNIX discipline of fork() implementation.  u. has been
getting smaller and smaller incrementally for years, and the essence
of UADDR was lost long time ago.  FORK_BRAINDAMAGE has gone,
proc_trampoline() is a sort of standard feature, and cpu_fork() is now
about to be modified MP conscious.  I think I could write a short
story titled like "How the u. was lost". ;-)

Tohru Nishimura