Subject: Thoughts on snapshot cd image......
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/25/2000 14:47:04
GREAT!  KUDOS!  and other assorted niceties......(:+}}... on that cdimage.iso
thingie.  That is exactly what I have been looking for, since my home net
is not on the internet, and I have to ferry things back and forth to play.
When I get home, tonight, it will get shovelled into the first VAX I stumble
across....(:+}}...

> Nothing.  The cd contains an INSTALL kernel with a ramdisk with sysinst on
> it.  it also includes all the subsets in my 20000517 snapshot (which also
> includes the X subsets).  It does not, however, contain any sources.

Foot in mouth light-bulb flashing propellerheaded-beanie dunce mode now.....

What about the possibility of rolling into it just sufficient sys.tar.gz
sources to allow fiddling with the kernel, in the same iso image.
The sys tarball would add 18 megs more to its size, but might be a
welcome addition, for some of us (would the config and top-level tarballs
also be needed?) that could use a coherent matched source/binary set,
along the development stream.

My reasoning behind querying this is that having at least the minimal
kernel tarball sources handy, would make an even playing field from
which to work the system up for play and testing.  In my case, for
example, my sources usually lag a week behind the binaries, which
can lead to a bit of instability across my machines.  Having a least
common denominator matched source/binary set all in one place, would
be a nice feature.

Would that be an unreasonable expectation, perhaps, if we were already
going to the trouble to roll a CD or image.fs thing of 50mb size anyway?
Another 20mb should not make that much difference....

Just thinking out loud, and thinking it might be a good idea.

Anyone else think so (or do I need to run for the ol' dusty, musty,
rusty Inet flak suit?).....(:+\\.....

Thanks Matt!

Bob