Subject: Re: make build error
To: Mark Redding <mark@newpower.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/28/2000 00:04:11
Well building -current is unnecessarily complicated, but it is possible.

First, you have to build -current with -current.

Yes, this is a contradiction, and unfortunately its the way it is. Get as
late a snapshot as you can find, then build the egcs tools against your
current system, then you can try to build the system. While you are in the
egcs tools modify src/gnu/usr.bin/ld/ld/rrs.c to not print those text
relocation errors, find the line with the !defined(arm32) && 1 and change
the 1 to a 0.

Now make sure you have space in /usr/obj to hold object files. I mounted a
baby disk (200MB) there to capture these files. If you were building on an
M76 I'd say separate the source and object files on to two different SCSI
channels, but you can't do that on a VLC.

I usually capture the output of the build into a file so that I can go back
and figure out where it crashed.

Be prepared to take a _long_ time.

--Chuck