Subject: Re: VS4000
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/24/2000 17:09:36
>> I'd try "/dev/rsd0c" - c is the raw partition...
> Nitpick.  c isn't the raw partition, c is the whole-disk-partition. :-)

Matter of terminology.  The define is RAW_PART, and I've seen it
conventionally called the "raw partition", even though that term
confuses with the difference between the block devices and the
character devices for a given partition.

In a sense the term makes sense, since it gives raw access to the whole
disk, regardless of partition tables and suchlike.  (Or at least it's
supposed to; the driver *could* do otherwise.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca