Subject: Re: VS4000
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/24/2000 11:55:47
On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Chuck McManis wrote:

> At 05:24 PM 4/23/00 -0700, Mark Redding wrote:
> >My question is this. I've finally got a kernel that recognises my SCSI
> >adapter and drive (according to dmesg anyway), but i get a "device not
> >configured" message when I try to use disklabel the device. Anyone got any
> >ideas what this could be. (P.S. I've issued a MAKEDEV many times, sone for
> >all and others for sd).
>

> We are going to either have to change this back to the "old" behaviour (my
> preferred approach) or put a giant FAQ note out about it.
>
> I'm 99% sure your problem is that when you disklabelled your disk, you
> didn't specify that the partitions were type "4.2BSD". Go back with
> disklabel -i and change them and I bet you will be able to newfs all your
> disks.

Not likely. The problem Mark was having wasn't with newfs, but with
disklabel.

The problem is that a pristine disk don't have any disklabel. In order to
put one on the disk, the system fakes a disklabel, so that you can play
around. Problem is that the default partition that disklabel access is
'c', and the fake label only have 'a', which is why you get the device not
configured. Simply put, you're trying to access partition 'c', but it
don't exist.

Easiest fix is to just give the explicit disk partition you want to run
disklabel on.

	Johnny