Subject: Re: DECserver 300 Software Needed
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/22/2000 16:49:17
>> The hardware/firmware in normal Ethernet interfaces receives packets
>> sent to all-ones and packets sent to its own ("unicast") address.
> Not neccesarily.  The DELUA for instance don't think
> ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff is any different from 01:00:00:00:00.

Weird.  That's certainly a lovely little gotcha waiting to bite someone
someday.

>> [...]
> Yup. But like I said, some of them don't treat all ones any special.
> There is really no good reason to do so either.

I'm not sure that last sentence is true - doesn't the Ethernet spec
specify all-ones as the broadcast address, in which case not receiving
it is *very* unusual behavior and hence it would be reasonable for
hardware to do so, either always or by default?

Whether or not the Ethernet spec says so, that's definitely how current
Ethernet practice works. :-)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca