Subject: Re: DECserver 300 Software Needed
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/22/2000 22:23:56
On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Matt Thomas wrote:

> At 02:20 AM 4/22/00 , Johnny Billquist wrote:
> >Well, no. Multicast is an IP term. In ethernet, all addresses with a "1"
> >in the low bit of the first byte is a broadcast, since that is the
> >broadcast bit.
>
> Bzzzt.  Wrong.  Multicast is a Ethernet term.  Ethernet controllers have
> *multicast* filters.  The broadcast address is a special multicast address.
> MOP uses multicast addresses (MOP Dump/Load uses AB-00-00-01-00-00 and
> MOP Remote Console uses AB-00-00-02-00-00).

Certainly not. The DELUA that I'm using don't think that all ones is any
special at all. I have to list that one just like any other broadcast
address that I want to listen to.

> >It is, however, up to every machine to decide which broadcast you want to
> >receive (inlcuing the all-ones).
>
> Again you have the sense of multicast and broadcast reversed.

Nope. IP, however have both broadcast and multicast.
The IP address 255.255.255.255 is a broadcast address that goes to every
machine on the same network. Broadcast addresses on the other hand are
class D addresses, which are 224.x.x.x to 239.x.x.x

All machines talking IP have to know about 255.255.255.255, but they don't
have to know anything about multicasts.

	Johnny