Subject: Re: DECserver 300 Software Needed
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/22/2000 11:46:35
>>> I assume ab:0:0:1:0:0 is a broadcast address?
>> I *think* there's only one broadcast Ethernet address,
>> ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff.  ab:0:0:1:0:0 is a multicast address, used for
>> just this sort of MOP booting.
> Well, no.  Multicast is an IP term.

Certainly.  But it's also an Ethernet term.

> In ethernet, all addresses with a "1" in the low bit of the first
> byte is a broadcast, since that is the broadcast bit.

Actually, in Ethernet all packets are broadcast to all nodes, and it's
up to the hosts and/or their hardware what packets to "received", that
is, to capture as they go by on the wire and kick upstairs to the host.

The hardware/firmware in normal Ethernet interfaces receives packets
sent to all-ones and packets sent to its own ("unicast") address.
Non-all-ones packets whose first address bit is one are called
multicast, and most (all?) hardware has special provisions for
configuring the reception of such packets....

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca