Subject: Re: VS4000/60 Update
To: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/21/2000 12:00:07
On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:

> I'm exstatic. However, there are two pitfalls - the countdown still
> doesn't advance (big deal, wouldn't boot anyway, must specify rom()),

  I was thinking about a workaround for this problem.  On the VS4000, the
boot loader could just skip the countdown.  The default would then to
boot normally (like it would if the countdown worked, or you hit Return).
If you want to enter a different boot command, you can use the
"conversational boot" option flag:  >> boot/1 dka0.  With this flag,
the boot loader will enter the conversational mode to let you enter
the desired boot command.  I think this flag also makes the kernel ask
for the root device - so perhaps there should be a different flag for
the "conversational boot" as opposed to having the kernel ask for the
root device?

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant