Subject: Re: I have one Vax to install NetBSD (Newbie)
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/19/2000 07:31:39
----- Original Message -----
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
Cc: <dankolb@ox.compsoc.net>; <port-vax@netbsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 07:06

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> > > What would people recommend as the best netboot server OS - NetBSD,
> > > OpenBSD, FreeBSD or Linux (i.e. which one has the least problems in
> > > setting up)?
> > >
> > I am biased, but I would say NetBSD. If by no other reason it would be
> > because that is the OS everything is developed for, ant therefore it
> > is at least supposed to work together :-)
>
> I've had no problems with Linux using the older distributions (Slackware
> 3, Redhat 5.x, Debian 2.1).  But the NFS in the newer kernels is severely
> brain-damaged.  Stay away from Redhat 6 if you want to netboot.  And
> I certainly agree with Ragge, I've had no problems netbooting
> with NetBSD -- my choice is a cheap little Decstation 5000.

I would cetainly prefer a NetBSD box for netbooting !

But, in my case here i have a Linux box running the whole day anyway. So i
took this one.
BTW, i had big troubles too, with RH6.0 & RH6.1. This server is running
Suse6.4 now (not everybodys taste ;-) But it is serving a "make release" at
the moment.

cheers,
emanuel