Subject: Re: I have one Vax to install NetBSD (Newbie)
To: Alejandro Arrieta <aarrieta@mezcal.inf.utfsm.cl>
From: Frederik Meerwaldt <Meerwaldt@t-online.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/19/2000 22:55:50
> Hi all

Hi!

> Im a CS student in Chile (Southamerika), i work as one of the
> Network Administrators of the CS department, using Solaris and Linux
> on i386, sparc and alpha boxes. In the server room was an old
> MicroVax 3300 very durty. I clean it up, take out all the spider and

dIrty and cleanED, but that won't matter.

> other bugs that live in there. And connect it to the power. It power up
> and make the noise of some hdd spinning up, and with the cover off
> a lot of lights started shining. Then i search what OpenSource OS
> support this machine and i found NetBSD :-)

Right. It runs very fast. And your MicroVAX isn't that slow.

> Im downloading it right now, i read the faqs, and docs,
> see the pictures....
> I have search but have not found any document with specification
> of this machine, behind the cover there are a lot of connectors, i
> recognize a SCSI, AUI, coaxial connectors, but are two Centronic type
> (printer) and one like rj11 but diferent. I suppose that the centronic
> are serial connectors. I want to connect a console to it (Wyse terminal).
> In the server room i cant found the tapes of this machine, can i netboot
> this old pal???? in all the docs about netbooting there is no comment
> about this machine.

I always have to refer to Michaels NetBooting Howto. Included in
www.camaronet.de Under Downloads in the Mop Survival Kit.
Install the MOPD Deamon under Linux, configure it, and be happy.
You can install the OS on this Machine too. I have installed my MicroVAX
II by NetBooting it, and then nfs-mounting the NetBSD-CD and untarring the
savesets. Then a disklabel -B ra0 (if you have disks on a RQDX3
Controller).

> Any advice or link will be welcomed. Sorry for my english, any correction
> is welcomed too :-)

OK. Corrections see above :-)....

> Thank U
>
> Alejandro Arrieta Rios