Subject: Re: I have one Vax to install NetBSD (Newbie)
To: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/19/2000 09:30:17
Douglas Meade wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> > > What would people recommend as the best netboot server OS - NetBSD,
> > > OpenBSD, FreeBSD or Linux (i.e. which one has the least problems in
> > > setting up)?

	NetBSD 1.4.1 or 1.4.2, I've had trouble with bootp in -current on pmax
at least.

> I've had no problems with Linux using the older distributions (Slackware
> 3, Redhat 5.x, Debian 2.1).  But the NFS in the newer kernels is severely
> brain-damaged.  Stay away from Redhat 6 if you want to netboot.  And

	IIRC, the problem with much brain damaged Redhad 6.x distro is that the
kernel doesn't support NFS v3.0 but it is telling its clients that it
does. Check the man pages on your Linux host and see if there is an
option like -NO_NFS_v3. I forget which port addressed this originally, I
think it was pmax but I'm not sure.

> with NetBSD -- my choice is a cheap little Decstation 5000.

	Ahem :) Just what are you trying to say, cheap? LOL

	Chris