Subject: Re: I have one Vax to install NetBSD (Newbie)
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Dan Kolb <dankolb@ox.compsoc.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/19/2000 12:34:11
Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > > In the server room i cant found the tapes of this machine, can i netboot
> > > this old pal???? in all the docs about netbooting there is no comment
> > > about this machine.
> >
> > I think it depends on the ethernet card that's in there. Just follow
> > through the netbooting procedure described in the HOWTO, and hope it
> > works. Various people seem to have trouble netbooting though (myself
> > included).
> >
> You should be able to netboot from the builtin interface (ESA0), but
> support for it is only in -current, not any 1.4.x release. (Well, the
> CPU is supported but you must have a qbus ethernet card to use it).
>
> -- Ragge

I've got an XQA0 interface (DELQA, I think); the problem was
NFS-mounting the root directory using Linux (RedHat 6.0) as the NFS
server.
What would people recommend as the best netboot server OS - NetBSD,
OpenBSD, FreeBSD or Linux (i.e. which one has the least problems in
setting up)?

Dan
--
dankolb@ox.compsoc.net  Oxford University Computer Society Secretary

--I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any comments or
  opinions expressed; don't trust everything you read above--