Subject: Re: I have one Vax to install NetBSD (Newbie)
To: Alejandro Arrieta <aarrieta@mezcal.inf.utfsm.cl>
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/18/2000 22:16:30
Alejandro,

I don't have documentation on this machine either, but wouldn't mind
having one.  There is a snapshot and a couple of paragraphs at
Hamster's great Vax history pages:
http://www.telnet.hu/hamster/vax/e_1990.html#3300

which points out that the system usually came with DSSI, not
SCSI disk controller.  The two centronics connectors are
probably to a CXY08, which handles up to 8 terminals.  You
need a special octopus cable that has centronics on one end,
and branches out to 4 serial connectors at the other end.
The RJ plug is an MMJ-6, for DecConnect cable, and can be
used to connect a console.  Dec made a cable that can run
directly from this plug to something like a VT320 or VT420.
Look around the room where you found the Vax, and grab any
cables that look like they might belong to this computer.

As far as I know, this machine netboots just fine.  I haven't
heard anything to the contrary, although, as I said, I don't
own one.  It also probably already has a version of VMS
on it, but if you have at least two disks, you may be able
to dual boot VMS and NetBSD.  Or if you're a Unix only kind
of guy, wipe the VMS.

I still find Brian Chase' Netbooting FAQ to be one of the
single best pieces of NetBSD Vax documentation, but it needs
to be updated.  In particular, I've found that you definitely
want to set up DHCPD on the server, with an entry for your
client machine, and it seems to really help to make a link
to the boot.mop file with the ethernet address of your client.
In other words, if the MicroVax is 08-00-2b-aa-bb-cc,
then
  ln boot.mop 08002baabbcc.SYS
in the tftpboot/mop subdirectory.

Have fun with your new vax!  Can't you feel it thanking you
already?

Doug