Subject: RE: Formatting software tape image, anyone?
To: None <Erno.Palonheimo@Hut.FI>
From: None <PORTVAX@trailing-edge.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/14/2000 10:44:34
>I've understood that if you want to format MSCP disks on a MicroVAX II,
>you have to use some DEC-supplied utility to do that. If I'm correct, the
>utility is on a TK50 cartridge, from which you're supposed to boot to the
>diagnostics utility which also includes formatter. Does anyone by chance
>have this formatter utility around?

Yeah, there are both the "customer diagnostics" and the "field service
diagnostics" tapes for a Microvax II.  Both are pretty lousy tools when
it comes to formatting RD-series MFM drives on a Microvax.  At best you
can start out with an already formatted disk and end up with a formatted
disk; at worse you can start out with an already formatted disk and end
up with an unformatted disk.

If you want to format a "raw" drive, the best tools are:

1.  XXDP+ on a PDP-11.  Boot it, type R ZRQC??, and you're set.

2.  A Vaxstation 2000.  This is actually the best way if you're formatting a
non-DEC-standard MFM disk geometry,  as you can specify
format parameters for geometries other than DEC-standard.  And you
don't need any software, the formatter is in ROM, just type "TEST 70"
at the >>> prompt and you're there.

This - and maybe 99% of the other questions asked here about RD-series
hard drives and RX50/RX33 floppies - are answered in a very informative
file at

  ftp://ftp.spc.edu/third-party-disks.txt

Whoever's in charge of the port-vax FAQ would do us all a favor by placing
this link in a prominent position in the FAQ.

--
 Tim Shoppa                        Email: shoppa@trailing-edge.com
 Trailing Edge Technology          WWW:   http://www.trailing-edge.com/