Subject: Re: Formatting software tape image, anyone?
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/13/2000 21:29:21
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Erno Palonheimo wrote:
>
> > I've understood that if you want to format MSCP disks on a MicroVAX II,
> > you have to use some DEC-supplied utility to do that. If I'm correct, the
> > utility is on a TK50 cartridge, from which you're supposed to boot to the
> > diagnostics utility which also includes formatter.

> I think there is a copyright, but I don't know the legalese of this.
>
> But apart from that, dd is *not* a usable tool.
> This is a typical example when Unix tools fail miserably. Tapes have
> records, of perhaps different lengths. You need to preserve this
> meta-information when copying tapes, or the copy will not actually be the
> same as the original, even though you have the same bytes on both.

I used something called copytape, and that seems to work out fine.. I'll
try and dig it up the next time I boot the MVII.

* Ronny Svedman  	ronny@update.uu.se		*
* Sturegatan 12A :123   Lando_C, in IRCnet #australia	*
* 75314 UPPSALA         http://www.update.uu.se/~ronny	*
* Sweden    		+46-(0)709-525109		*