Subject: Finlay McMartin in Portland, OR
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/09/2000 18:03:20
saturday afternoon I went with a couple friends to find a rack here in
Portland.  I had heard of Finlay from a friend of mine and passed his
warehouse numerous times while riding the bus to downtown.  but saturday
was the first time I'd ever stepped foot into his warehouse.

there were amazing treasures all over the place.  Finlay is an ex-IBM
guy, so there's plenty of blue cabinets around, but there is also plenty
of old DEC stuff, including an almost complete VAX 11/780, (he sold the
floppy drive,) a couple 3900s, a rack with three 4000/300s (I'm
guessing, they were the "newer-style" Q-bus and had what looked like
DSSI trays) and dusty corners with piles of qbus cards, along with
RA-series drives scattered here and there.

Finlay says that he gets a lot of demand for PDP-11 equipment, since a
lot of companies still use it in production environments, but little to
no demand for VAX equipment.  (especially for mechanical assemblies like
the hda units for RA82s and MFM drives like the RD53 -- since they fail
and need to be replaced.)

In a pile next to a gutted BA123, some of the things I saw:

M3104       DHV11-A     Q   8-line async DMA MUX
M7504       DEQNA-AA    Q   Q-bus (Q-22) to ethernet adaptor, obsolete
                            for VMS 5.x and above (use DELQA).
M7555       RQDX3       Q   Winchester and floppy disk controller
                            (RX50/RD50-54/RD31/RD32)
M7559       TQK70       Q   TMSCP controller for TK70
M7608-??    Q-22 2/4MB memory (didn't get the suffix, sorry)
M7609-AA    MS630-CA    Q   8-Mbyte parity 36-bit RAM for microVAX II
                            (Also M7609-AC, -AF, -AH, -AP, -AV) (Q-22 via CD)
M8061       RLV12       Q   RL01/RL02 disk control, 22-bit address
M8067-??    memory boards (didn't get the suffix, sorry...)

along with some third-party boards, including a parallax viper (video?)
and a Viking QDO.  (I think this is a SCSI controller?  Is it supported
by NetBSD?)

I picked up what I later discovered to be a KA630 revision 2... (I
thought it was a KA650 at the time.)  oh well, spares are good.  ;) I
think I'll go back and get that Viking and maybe some memory for my
second uVAX-II.

Finlay says he doesn't mind people coming by if they have specific items
they're looking for, but isn't running a retail operation by any means.
(it's literally a warehouse filled with piles and piles of surplus
equipment.)  he offered to fax me a list of parts he has, and I'm sure
he'd extend the offer to anybody else who's interested.

you can reach him at (503) 231-1194, fax (503)231-1747

it just seems a waste for all this beautiful equipment to be rotting in
a warehouse...