Subject: Re: your mail
To: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/06/2000 13:39:05
On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Douglas Meade wrote:

> However, everytime I try to make a tape archive to TK50Z, I get
> SCSI sense errors, and the process eventually gives up.
> st0 at scsibus1 targ 5 lun 0: <, , > SCSI1 1/sequential removable
> st0: rogue, drive empty
> Is the TK50Z external tape drive considered 'supported' with this
> distribution?

  The TK50Z (and TZ30) tape drives support a very rudimentary INQUIRE
command, which doesn't provide some of the fields the tape driver expects.
In addition, these drives don't support all the commands the tape driver
wants to use (which is why you get the Illegal Command errors).

  On my DECstations, I've got some local patches that recognize the
results of the INQUIRE command and fake up the rest of the INQUIRE data.
It also adds a quirk entry for the TZ30 that makes the tape driver a
little happier with the TZ30 drive.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant