Subject: Re: Somebody wants to spam us ?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian@cosmic.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/03/2000 11:41:35
In article <Pine.BSF.4.21.0004021543260.844-100000@server.wes.mee.com>,
Frederik Meerwaldt <Meerwaldt@t-online.de> wrote:
>Hi!
>> [216.41.40.61]
>> Login: root                             Name: The Lord of the Flies
>> Directory: /root                        Shell: /bin/bash
>> Office: Hell, 666-666-6666              Home Phone: 666-666-1313
>> Never logged in.
>> No mail.
>> No Plan.
>>
>> It might be a linux installation (because of /bin/bash). Strange is the
>> "never logged in". Maybe this machine has been hacked, and someone very
>> different wants to abuse it now ? Very strange... Maybe, it's just a weird
>> inn-setup or so. Don't know it it doesn't stop, i think i'll mail to
>> root@www.cosmic.com, this should reach someone.
>
>Because of the /bin/bash it doesn't have to be a Linux
>installation. IF the machine has been hacked, it won't make sense to send

It is alas a Linux box.  Not my choice, BTW; I don't own the machine.

I will say however that, if you ever have the misfortune to administer a
Linux machine, don't go assuming that simply because programs have
familiar names, that they work just like programs you're used to; else
you may be in for a big surprise.  Or maybe I should say a "bug" surprise.

--Mirian