Subject: RE: Somebody wants to spam us ?
To: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
From: Frederik Meerwaldt <Meerwaldt@t-online.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/02/2000 15:46:43
Hi!

> On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Andy Sporner wrote:
> > I wondered where was coming from.  I have gotten about 5 of them
> > now in the last evening starting at 3:32.
>
> It's the same as www.cosmic.com, the real name is magrathea.cosmic.com
> According to this:
>
> [216.41.40.61]
> Login: root                             Name: The Lord of the Flies
> Directory: /root                        Shell: /bin/bash
> Office: Hell, 666-666-6666              Home Phone: 666-666-1313
> Never logged in.
> No mail.
> No Plan.
>
> It might be a linux installation (because of /bin/bash). Strange is the
> "never logged in". Maybe this machine has been hacked, and someone very
> different wants to abuse it now ? Very strange... Maybe, it's just a weird
> inn-setup or so. Don't know it it doesn't stop, i think i'll mail to
> root@www.cosmic.com, this should reach someone.

Because of the /bin/bash it doesn't have to be a Linux
installation. IF the machine has been hacked, it won't make sense to send
a mail to root@www.cosmic.com. Perhaps try reaching the abuse account of
his upstream provider? But what I expect is, that somebody (perhaps the
owner of this machine) wanted to open a news gateway to the port-vax list.

Hello?! Admin of this list? Please block emails from news@cosmic.com, or
make this list private. Thanks

Regards,
	Freddy