Subject: Re: VS4000/60 SCSI update
To: None <buckaroo@igps.org>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/31/2000 18:26:20
>Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:10:29 -0600
>From: "J. Buck Caldwell" <buckaroo@igps.org>
>Sender: port-vax-owner@netbsd.org
>
>Alright - so I can now read and write on my 4000/60's SCSI drives. Everything looks good so far. However, I can't boot. Is this a known issue? Someone mentioned something about the bootblocks only knowing PIO
>and the SCSI chip in the 4000/60 only knowing DMA...
>
>I wrote a (nearly) -current bootblock onto the drive, with a (nearly) -current /boot also, and it doesn't even show me the countdown. Speaking of the countdown, that doesn't work either, even when netbooting
>(but perhaps I'm using an older boot.mopformat). It just sticks at '5'. Works fine on my VS3100, but I may be getting version confusion here.
>
>Anyway. Just wanted to know what the status was and offer my testing ability on booting this bad boy from SCSI.

The bootblocks have their own standalone SCSI driver that's completely
distinct from the driver in the kernel.  I don't think there's any
support for the 4000/60 SCSI in the boot blocks.

You may be able to boot from disk using the rom() routines.  The
VAX bootblocks don't count down...you need to issue a manual boot from
the >>> prompt, specifying flags on the command like this:
boot/3 devicename

At the boot prompt, try "rom()netbsd" and cross your fingers.