Subject: Re: VS4000/60 SCSI update
To: None <buckaroo@igps.org, port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: None <mhitch@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/31/2000 21:43:42
> Alright - so I can now read and write on my 4000/60's SCSI drives.
  Everything looks good so far. However, I can't boot. Is this a known issue?
  Someone mentioned something about the bootblocks only knowing PIO
> and the SCSI chip in the 4000/60 only knowing DMA...

  The boot device code for the VS4000 is different, and there isn't any
support in the boot loader or the kernel for that code.  You can boot
it from the disk by entering a key other than return when it's trying
to count down.  At the '>' prompt, you need to enter something like:
> boot sd(0,0,2)netbsd
(where 2 is replaced by the scsi ID of your boot drive).  I think that
was how I managed to get the boot from disk working.

  I am able to get 700-800k bytes/second on my VS4000/VLC with the old
Conner drive that came in it, and I think I was able to get higher
transfer rates from a Seagate drive.

Michael