Subject: Re: Where is boot.mop?
To: Alberto <alberto-g@libero.it>
From: Ville U Hautakangas <vhautaka@cs.Helsinki.FI>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/31/2000 09:56:08
Btw, I now have my VS3100 booting nicely from the disk. Thanks everyone!
Tonight it's time for the VS2000 and VS4000 VLC :)

> But, in  ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4.2/vax/installation/netboot/
> there is nothing like that.
> Where can I find this file? Maybe another from an older release would do the
> trick?

At least I could do with an old file. The one I have, I think came
with 1.4.1. It has some serious problems with bootparamd, it usually
takes a couple of minutes retrying before it boots succesfully,
but for me this was acceptable since I was only netbooting in order
to install everything in the hard disk.

Somebody might want to take a look at that boot program, btw, there
are at least two bugs that seem probably easy to correct.

1) The booter gets its own IP address right, but after that a
"bootparamd: whoami call failed: unknown error 60"

2) It gets everything right till it should get the nfs server address,
but then it thinks the nfs server is located at 0.0.0.0. The root
directory it prints out at this point is correct, but of course
there's no 0.0.0.0 answering when it tries to mount it.

I remember somebody telling that one should use DHCP and forget
about bootparams, but if there is support for a protocol it would
be kinda nice if it worked.

- hautis