Subject: Re: Question re. installation
To: Georg Schwarz <schwarz@physik.tu-berlin.de>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/29/2000 16:25:45
On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Georg Schwarz wrote:

> I hope this works. It seems when I am booting from the 1.4.2 diskette
> I cannot execute snapshot binaries due to shared library problems.
>
> > to install the new booter. Watch the date in the copyright message of
> > the booter.
> >
> > > unfortunaltely this assumes I already have a working "development"
> > > system (compilers, etc.) :-(
> > Untar comp.tgz ;-)
>
> see above. It's not that easy.

If you're booting from a 1.4.1 or 1.4.2 install disk, there's no reason
for you to be executing binaries from the snapshots.  All the tools you
need to load the snapshot onto the disk are included in the RAM disk which
gets loaded from the install kernel.  If you exit out of the sysinst
program, you've got free reign to install whatever snapshots you want to
on your system disk using the utils living on the RAM disk.

> I believe it should. IMHO ssh and sshd are quite essential binaries
> which, if possible, ought to be included into the base set.

Eh, given a binary package of ssh, it's not too hard to type
"pkg_add ssh-1.2.3.tgz".

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
     "Never program a computer you can lift." -- Barry Shein