Subject: Re: Bootstrapping a scsi hd
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/29/2000 15:24:04
On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Chuck McManis wrote:
> At 12:13 PM 3/29/00 +0300, Ville U Hautakangas wrote:

> >After some experimenting, I'm beginning to think there's something
> >I've missed...
> >disklabel -B sd0 seems to complete ok, but everything the machine
> >does when I boot from DKA200 (or 300 or 500) is
> >?number RESTART SYS
>
> Ok, here is a basic question. What kernel have you installed on this
> disk? It looks like you're using a 1.4.1(or 2) kernel on a SCSI drive.
> In 1.4.1 booting from SCSI was not supported if I recall correctly.

The kernels for 1.4.[12] should support SCSI booting on the VAXstation
3100 M30,M40,M38,M48,M76, the MicroVAX 3100 10,20,10e,20e, and the
VAXserver 3100.  Those releases don't support it on the VAXstation 4000
series.  For that I think you'll have to go to one of the -current
snapshots, or wait for the 1.5 release.  I'm not positive about the
present state of VAXstation 4000 and VAX 4000 support.  Maybe we need a
big checklist for all the VAX models?

If he's talking about booting a supported 3100, the disk needs to be
labeled, it needs to be newfs'ed, it needs to have the boot blocks
installed, the "/boot" second stage bootloader must be installed, and
there has to be some form of "/netbsd" kernel installed.

-brian.