Subject: Re: VAXstation 3100 w/ memory problems
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Robert_Sch=F6ftner?= <r.schoeftner@liwest.at>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/28/2000 21:20:57
Hi !

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Robert Sch=F6ftner wrote:
> =09about 1,5 years ago i saved a vaxstation 3100 from being dumped. I don=
't know if it was functional back then. some days ago i decided to try this=
 thing out, built a monitor-adapter and powered it on. i put the netbsd-vax=
 1.4.1 boot-disk on a plain 1.44M disk and tried to boot it.

> cpu0 at mainbus0: KA41/42
> cpu0: enabling primary cache, secondary cache
> panic: ptelen fault in system space: addr 0 pc 0
> syncing disks...done
> panic: ptelen fault in system space: addr 2c pc 8008a5a4
> panic: ptelen fault in system space: addr 38 pc 8008f382
> [repeatet 2 times]

I encountered this some time on the VAXstation 3100m76, then power-cycling
helped for this. Maybe uninitialized RAM was the problem. But in your case,
the machine just crashes after enabling the cache. Maybe your cache burned=
=20
off ? A nice try would to disable the cache routines and try the kernel the=
n.
If it works then, you really have a cache problem. I don't know about probl=
ems
with the 3100/30-cache, i ran NetBSD myself on one some time ago.

> =09so i investigated what the ? in
> F...E...D...C...B?..A.. [...]
> meant.

B is RAM in 3100 series... Try pulling off the RAM board (the upside-down
board in the front area) and try again.

> =09TEST 50 at the monitor shows (relevant section):
>=20
> ?? MEM      0010.0800
>       01000000

It sees 16 Megs there, and it has a problem with the memory subsystem. If t=
his
error also occurs with the expansion board pulled out, you definitely have
some evil mainboard problem.

> suspect the caches). the machine is equipped with a 4MB DEC-Board and a 1=
2M
> Kingston board (the DEC-board is attached to it). leaving either one out
> changes the amount of recognized memory to 12M or 4M, as it should be, bu=
t the

The mainboard has 4 Megs of RAM on it, so this sounds a bit strange. Maybe
you have 8 Megs and 4 Megs on these cards ? Or one of them is really broken=
=2E

> installed megabytes of RAM, but i didn't find any meaning of 0800... with=
 SIMM

As i know, this tells the bit making trouble, but i'm not sure. Just try
leaving out the RAM boards completely, if it shows up the error then, take
the machine apart, clean everything and re-assemble it completely. This
doesn't only work with old motorcycles (Kreidler), this sometime also works
with VAXen :-)

=2E..Michael

--=20
 Michael@camaronet.de, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.camaronet.de