Subject: VAXstation 3100 w/ memory problems
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Robert_Sch=F6ftner?= <r.schoeftner@liwest.at>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/28/2000 19:34:45
--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB

hi,

	about 1,5 years ago i saved a vaxstation 3100 from being dumped. I don't k=
now if it was functional back then. some days ago i decided to try this thi=
ng out, built a monitor-adapter and powered it on. i put the netbsd-vax 1.4=
.1 boot-disk on a plain 1.44M disk and tried to boot it.

(captured manually, so a bit shortened)

-DUA2
>> NetBSD/vax boot [Aug 13 1999 20:18:28] <<
>> Press any key to abort autoboot 0
> boot netbsd
[...]

VAXstation 3100/m{30,40}
realmem =3D 16646144
avail mem =3D 12451840
Using 230 buffers containing 831488 bytes of memory
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: KA41/42
cpu0: enabling primary cache, secondary cache
panic: ptelen fault in system space: addr 0 pc 0
syncing disks...done
panic: ptelen fault in system space: addr 2c pc 8008a5a4
panic: ptelen fault in system space: addr 38 pc 8008f382
[repeatet 2 times]
=2E
?05 DBL ERR1
    PC =3D 00000000

	so i investigated what the ? in
F...E...D...C...B?..A.. [...]
meant.

	TEST 50 at the monitor shows (relevant section):

?? MEM      0010.0800
      01000000

	so there seems to be some error somewhere with memory (I somehow
suspect the caches). the machine is equipped with a 4MB DEC-Board and a 12M
Kingston board (the DEC-board is attached to it). leaving either one out
changes the amount of recognized memory to 12M or 4M, as it should be, but =
the
memory error doesn't vanish (and i won't boot either). i searched the web w=
hat
those numbers in the output of test 50 do mean, and learned that 0010 means
installed megabytes of RAM, but i didn't find any meaning of 0800... with S=
IMM
maschines this indicates the failing SIMM, but as i don't have SIMMs...

	i would very much appreciate if anybody could help me... i have some
experience in hardware-"debugging", so i could use some hints where to look=
 for
a fault..

thanx in advance,
  robert

PS: i tried the cdrom-bootimage, too, this one stops like this:
>>> b dka500
[...]
NetBSD 1.4M (DMAINSTALL) #0: Sat, Dec 18 18:54:22 PST 1999
[...]
VAXstation /m{30,40}
[          ^there is no "3100"!!]
cpu: KA41/42
cpu: Enabling primary cache, secondary cache
=2E
?04 ISP ERR
    PC =3D 800AA317

--=20