Subject: curious booting from tape
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/27/2000 22:05:41
Ok, trying to boot from my TK70. The problem was the block size, I set it
to 512 like so:
	dd if=miniroot.fs of=/dev/rmt8 bs=512
and wrote the miniroot filesystem out to tape. That works fine, then I boot
it and after much grinding it gets to the booter and trys to boot, however
it trys netbsd first. That fails (the file is netbsd.gz) and then it trys
netbsd.gz. Now the interesting bit is that when it trys to boot the error
it prints is:
	nfs_open: Must mount first
That is a really weird message. It seems like the booter isn't telling
somebody that the boot device was MUA0. Can someone point in a likely
direction?

When it finally gives up and gives me the > prompt I try
	boot mt()netbsd.gz
and that fails with the same message "nfs_open: blah blah"

--Chuck