Subject: Re: A couple of Vax 'problems'
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Dan Kolb <dankolb@ox.compsoc.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/27/2000 23:12:15
Chuck McManis wrote:

> At 11:31 PM 3/26/00 +0100, Dan Kolb wrote:
> >Secondly, with regards to netbooting NetBSD - the kernels seems to load
> >fine, but then it complains about nfs-timeouts. I read on a previous
> >post that giving nfsd the no-version 3 (or similar, don't have it to
> >hand) should work. However, nfsd doesn't accept the parameter. Is there
> >a hidden trick anywhere? Or am I missing something blatently obvious?
>
> Who gives the time outs? (the vax or the server. Does the server even see
> the request?) What OS is your NFS server running? Linux? Again, the
> archives have the answer for Linux (I'm not where I could search them at
> the moment so I'll have to leave you with simply the pointer.)

The Vax is giving the timeouts. nfsd doesn't log anything to syslog when
the Vax is trying; however, while loading the NetBSD kernel, nfsd goes
mad printing these 3 error messages over and over (as fast as the disk
will write the messages):

Dec 28 21:30:04 hydra nfsd[379]: Unable to setgroups: Invalid argument
Dec 28 21:30:04 hydra nfsd[379]: Unable to setfsuid -2: Invalid argument
Dec 28 21:30:04 hydra nfsd[379]: Unable to setfsgid -2: Invalid argument

(Ignore the date; it was the first one I found in the /var/log/messages
file.)

> >Also, I've got an RA90 and two RA81s (or so the console reports) set as
> >DUB0, DUB1 and DUB2. I don't have a DUAx drive as the hard disk was
> >dead, so I've taken it out.
>
> Presumably when you "took it out" you left the controller card in? If not

Yes.

> and there is a gap in the bus then you will need to insert a BUS GRANT card
> where the missing controller was. It sounds like your working controller is
> the M7169 model (quad SDI drives) (dual boards) You may choose to pull the
> board set and rejumper it to be controller 1. I believe the jumpers for
> this board set are online as well.

Yes - I think that's right (it is dual board). If I remove the cards, no
disk controllers appear with SHOW DEV at the console. I'll try and find
the jumper settings online then.

> >Sorry for some (slightly) off-topic questions, but hopefully you people
> >should be able to help.
>
> comp.sys.vms is also a good place to ask.

I'll give that a go if what you folks suggest doesn't work.

Thanks,

Dan
--
dankolb@ox.compsoc.net  Oxford University Computer Society Secretary

--I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any comments or
  opinions expressed; don't trust everything you read above--