Subject: Re: Did the VAX snapshot get finished yet?
To: Anders Hogrelius SdU <elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/24/2000 02:14:48
On Thu 23 Mar 2000 at 20:53:45 +0100, Anders Hogrelius SdU wrote:
> I've allready successfully compiled a installkernel from the
> -current sources with my crosscompiler running on Solaris/Sparc.

You didn't base the crosscompiler on the pkgsrc stuff? I have been
trying a bit to add a vax-targeted cross compilation system going, like
the others in pkgsrc/cross, but I stranded on as, which does not produce
byte-for-byte identical output yet.

As far as I can see, although the cross tools and the native tools are
based on the same gnu sources, they don't have the same fixes and other
local changes so output of these cross tools remains suspect in any
case. The assembler, as, for instance, was not even 64-bit clean in the
a.out related code and even fixing that left other differences. A native
as probably doesn't have to bother, really, since there are no 64-bit
a.out environments. (is that true?)

I submitted a pr with changes for the cross/binutils package, but I
don't think it has been picked up yet and commited by anyone.

Unfortunately I'm sick right now and although I have too much time, I
have too little energy to really do anthing complex right now :-(

> cheers,
> /Anders
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder.ubc.     -- If one tells the truth,
\X/ .kun.nl     -- one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out. (Oscar Wilde)