Subject: Re: VAX-11/78[05] hardware info wanted
To: Eric Smith <eric@brouhaha.com>
From: None <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/22/2000 18:35:13
> > The 700 series in general use writeable ucode stores (780, 782, 785,
> > 750 and 730 to be sure I may have missed a few).
>
> The question wasn't whether the 780 had WCS, it was whether the 785 had
> it.

Your being oblique.  All of them have it.  The ucode in prom was only the
core instructions and hardly complete.

> The 725/730 and 750 use writable control store but do not support
> user-written microcode.

Define support.  If you can get it on the tape from the system (easy)
you can at BOOT time input that to the WCS that is there.  Its not BUS
accessable as a realtime option however.

it wasn't widely done as the ucode was not trivial and the data paths were
anything but simple.  But Guys like UCSD, LLL, fermi and friends did that
as it bought them enough for theirt fancy work.

Allison