Subject: Re: RZ23 problem, now with bonus RZ24!
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/22/2000 17:38:45
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Brian Chase wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:
>
> > Wow! This seemed to do the trick. I wonder if that'll make the drives
> > on my VS4000/60 work too, with the controller support added recently.
> > I was getting the exact same condition. I'll have to give that a try.
>
> Is this really a bug?  I always thought we just had to explicitly specify
> the filesystem type on the disklabel?  I mean, I've never done it any
> other way than that.  Which I guess is why I was always so baffled by the
> reports of problems with RZ23 drives.  Mine always worked fine.

If I remember correctly, NetBSD used to insert the 4.2BSD string in the
disklabel itself when you did the newfs once upon a time.
So I can understand if a few people have got bitten by this.

Actually, I think it would be a rather decent behaviour if newfs perhaps
by default didn't newfs filesystems that were already 4.2BSD (preferrably
overridable) and didn't newfs at all a partition which overlapped any
other partition that was marked as 4.2BSD.

This could possibly be a lifesaver at times.

	Johnny