Subject: Re: VAX-11/78[05] hardware info wanted
To: None <port-vax@netBSD.org>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/21/2000 23:05:14
<FYI, yes, the 780 does have writable control store.  At least, its listed
<(and drawn) in the schematics...  from memory, I'm pretty sure it was not
<just an option... but I could be wrong.   Not sure if the WCS was loaded fr
<the LSI-11 front end or whether it was loaded by the OS once running...

Exactly the use.  Proms of the time were too slow fo rhte numebr needed and
uCode was a bit unstable and tuneable as well so making it writeable was
a good fix but not cheap.

The 700 series in general use writeable ucode stores (780, 782, 785,
750 and 730 to be sure I may have missed a few).

Allison