Subject: RE: New drives in the M3100/M76
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Douglas D Denney <DENNEY_DOUGLAS_D@LILLY.COM>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/20/2000 15:40:16
Hello all,

I had a question about this comment:

>On the M76 there is no requirement that the boot disk be smaller than 1GB
>(apparently this is true on earlier models).

I also have a 3100/M76 and I have personal experience that a boot device
greater than 1GB will get corrupted when installing VMS (V7.1). I was using an
RZ28 in an attached storage enclosure. After installing VMS V7.1, I then
installed DECWindows. When it finished installing DECWindows, I rebooted and
it never came back up. Something on the disk was overwritten and I lost the
install.

I also found the following on the "OpenVMS Ask the Wizard" site:

     http://www.openvms.digital.com/wizard/openvms_faq.html

under the heading "VAX5".

It states there that it's a prom limitation. There isn't an upgrade available
to fix it either.

So, my question is:  Is that true? Is there some "trick" I missed that would
allow me to use a >1GB boot disk on a 3100/M76?

Oh, BTW...I do have NetBSD (1.4.1) installed on it at the moment. I'm using a
1GB disk I salvaged from an old HP workstation and it works just fine.

Thanks everyone!

Douglas Denney