Subject: Re: Building -current from 1.4.1?
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/14/2000 12:40:32
> > >I agree with Chuck in that I think we should always be able to build
> > >-current from the most recent stable release of the kernel (assuming that
> > >the -current source is in a state which can be compiled).
> >
> > So when a new version of binutils or egcs gets integrated into -current,
> > no one can use it until the new release?
>
> I didn't say that :-)  I just said that I think the last stable release
> should be able to build -current (with relative ease).

Would a more regular string of snapshots help to get this kind of situation
fixed?

If I can speak a tad pointedwise, thinking out loud in the pipe-dream
mode, it sure would be nice if snapshots were regular enough that even
if there were burps in the code or builds, one could get to a recent
build via snapshots, rather than having to build current from the last
release.  Ideally, building current from the last release would be nice,
but, because of the great leaps forward since 1.4.1, I sense that may
not be quite an easy task.

How about a weekly generic snapshot with sources that built it?
At least, for base, etc, comp, man, misc, text?

I know, we may not have the resources, manpower, blah de blah, etc.,
but, it would be a nice pipe-dream.

At least, all the tools, sources, and basic system would be rolled
together at a common point in time.  It would be akin to a barebonz
minimal system update that is known to work and be a coordinated whole.

Just thinking out loud.....

Bob