Subject: 4000 VLC cache experimentation.
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/08/2000 03:24:57
As it happens the 1.4.2 vax build is happening on a 4000 VLC, which of
course means that it is happening v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.

While I have remoted cc1 and nroff to much faster machines, other long
tasks (not to mention simple make recursion!) literally crawl.

gzip -9 for instance.

It just finished base.tgz after chewing on it for exactly 3 hours.

Would it be possible to put some experimental cache support into -current,
under an ifdef so only us adventurous types need to risk turning it on?
At the very least, I'd feel better if we knew it wasn't just the one VLC
that crashed quickly after the cache was enabled.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com