Subject: Re: VS3100 crash / machine check
To: Wolfgang Rupp <rupp@chello.at>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/03/2000 22:20:00
> My VS3100M38 running 1.4L just crashed with:
>
> panic: Machine check
> Stopped in ls at _ka410_halt: function "_ka410_halt()", entry-mask 0x0
> cvtps r4, $3, $0, $56
>
> db>
>
> I was logged into the VAX over a telnet session and did "ls".
> What does this error tell me?? The machine has been up for a few days.

A "Machine check" can be any type of unexpected (hardware) inconsistency
in the machine. Normally it is parity error somewhere, like in the cache
or on some bus. Unfortunately Machine checks are not handled very gracefully
in the current code; and it is quite hard to test that code.

A Machine check will also occur on some CPU types when adressing an
unexisting memory location, but not on 3100 machines. So you likely
have some problem with your memory or so.

-- RAgge